Thursday, August 20, 2009

Flickr pictures in wiki

Setting up a site this huge is a great learning experience for me. As a human being I make mistakes but I try not to make the same mistake twice. I have been using Flickr for years but have not that much moderation - even if I have had the Lundby group there. I basically created that and then forgot about it ;). So I made some wrong assumptions (I e.g. thought that if you have your photo in a group you need to be a group member also).

So now I have finetuned the Flickr processes a little by adding the rules that a new group member needs to approve before joining the group. Earlier this was told only in the group messages - and not everybody reads them. Rules are simple: the member agrees that the pictures in the pool may be used as embedded pictures in the wiki. Embedded means that if you move your mouse (cursor) over the picture you will see its details and if you click it you are forwarded to the picture in Flickr where you can e.g. comment it.

The other day I was sending a private message (via Flickr mail) to group members and people who have pictures in the pool but are not members hoping that they would be aware of the rules now (I hope I did not miss anyone). Here´s the message:

About Mini treasures wiki
*johantti* is a group administrator *johantti* says:

Dear Mini treasures group member

I want to tell you backgrounds of my wiki, minitreasures.pbworks.com/ . I established Mini treasures wiki for dollhouse and miniatures lovers and it´s aim is to connect miniaturists to each others. Maybe an example helps.

Let´s say there are 10 miniatuarists in the world who are currently working on a project to honour Michael Jackson. How on earth they will find each other? But if they were wiki users and some of them created a wiki page for Michael Jackson... Then another one could share her print links there while somebody would add a link to MJ doll maker. And tadaa, a small MJ community is born that can inspire each others. And if someone starts the same project next year the page is still there...

The wiki is still very new and most of the updates are done by me. But I hope that eventually there will be more and more contributors who can promote a)their own hobby, b)their mini business and c)their favorite sites and idols. FOR FREE.

So if you would be making MJ dolls (or looking for soul-mates with similar projects) you could add a picture of it to the wiki page and every time a MJ fan would come to the page they would see your picture. That if anything is a well targeted ad! And I´m not charging anything from you for that. :)

In the wiki I´m using the embedded pictures from Mini treasures Flickr group. Embedded means that the if you move your mouse over the photo you´ll see the originator and if you click it you can comment or favorite in Flickr.

Keep sharing your mini treasures with us in Flickr and also in the wiki (read FAQ for starters: minitreasures.pbworks.com/wiki_faq) :) .

-Johanna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. To avoid the spam the blog comments are reviewed before approval.